[Gc] Naming of the "disclaim" API

Petter Urkedal urkedal at nbi.dk
Sat Oct 1 03:04:47 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-01, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
> May be, it would be good to rename 'disclaim' words into something more self-explaining word?

Hi Ivan, I CC this to the list in case someone has suggestions.

The logic behind the word "disclaim" is that the patch in question adds
a call-back invoked before an object is reclaimed.  This call-back is
responsible for either making sure that the object is no longer needed.
That's what I mean by "disclaiming" the object.  The call-back may also
refuse to "disclaim" the object, in case it has been reused since the
last collection.  Any better suggestions?  The current API can be seen at
https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/blob/paurkedal-disclaim-v2/include/gc_disclaim.h