[Gc] Re[2]: [bdwgc] Compilation fails on Mac OS X (#4)

Petter Urkedal urkedal at nbi.dk
Mon Sep 19 09:58:39 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-19, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
> Hi Jurrien,
>
> This is a known problem (see end of TODO file). For now, you can run autoreconf successfully on Linux.
>
> Petter -
> Could you look at this problem (not really urgent as works at least on Linux)? (could this be a bug in the script?)

The AS_IF macro should be defined in
    ${datadir}/autoconf/m4suger/m4sh.m4
It is part of the Autoconf package, so it should not depend on OS.  It's
a portability thing, so it would be ironic except for the fact that
the portability is optimised for distributions, where autogenerated
files are included.  If we can't fix it, I can replace the macros with
plain "if" statements, since we're already using plenty of them.
However, it would be good to understand why aclocal does not find the
macro.

> 19 09 2011, 11:37 Jurriën Stutterheim <reply+i-1630875-6ee0c7d42195d52bc113cc90a1c3f84ed9682072 at reply.github.com>:
> > I've been trying to compile the latest version, but I've been getting errors in the configuring process:
> >
> > configure.ac:507: the top level
> > configure.ac:99: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
> >       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
> >       See the Autoconf documentation.
> > configure.ac:738: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_IF
> > autoreconf: /usr/local/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
> >
> > λ bdwgc → λ git master → autoreconf --version
> > autoreconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.68

Is your autoconf/aclocal also 2.68?  This version is the same as mine,
so I think something else must be wrong.  Can you locate m4sh.m4 and
verify that it defines AS_IF?  Is is located in a path seen by aclocal?
In my case it's located at /usr/share/autoconf/m4sugar/m4sh.m4.  On OS
X, it's probably elsewhere, but I guess it should be under the same
prefix as the aclocal command.