[Gc] Compilation fails on Mac OS X (#4)

Petter Urkedal urkedal at nbi.dk
Mon Sep 19 23:56:32 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-20, Ivan Maidanski wrote:
> Hi Petter,
>
> I have autoconf-2.68 (automake 1.11.1) on cygwin:
> /usr/share/autoconf/m4sugar/m4sh.m4:
>
> # _AS_BOURNE_COMPATIBLE
> # ---------------------
> # This is the part of AS_BOURNE_COMPATIBLE which has to be repeated inside
> # each instance.
> m4_define([_AS_BOURNE_COMPATIBLE],
> [AS_IF([test -n "${ZSH_VERSION+set}" && (emulate sh) >/dev/null 2>&1],
>  [emulate sh
>   NULLCMD=:
>   [#] Pre-4.2 versions of Zsh do word splitting on ${1+"$[@]"}, which
>   # is contrary to our usage.  Disable this feature.
>   alias -g '${1+"$[@]"}'='"$[@]"'
>   setopt NO_GLOB_SUBST],
>  [AS_CASE([`(set -o) 2>/dev/null`], [*posix*], [set -o posix])])
> ])

The definition of AS_IF is actually further down, even though it's first
used where you cite.  I can you in the TODO that on Cygwin it also can't
find AC_MSG_ERROR, which is a vital macro.  To debug it it's useful to
know how the macros gets pulled in.  This is usually done by aclocal,
which copies everything it needs into aclocal.m4, so probably you won't
find the missing macros there.  The info-page says that aclocal searches
for macros in an Automake-specific directory, in `aclocal
--print-ac-dir`, and any -I options passed.  Is Autoconf and Automake
installed under different prefixes?

I think it can be worked around by passing the missing aclocal-paths as
"-I"-options to "autoreconf".