Re[2]: [Gc] Problem with GC on FreeBSD

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Sun Apr 22 06:07:52 PDT 2012

Hi Petter, Vitaly and Hans,

Vitaly -
1. Please test branch 'fix-freelist-check-and-specific' (it should only fix the problem for --enable-gc-assertions)
2. I'm still puzzled what's the problem USE_CUSTOM_SPECIFIC (which is defined by default for FreeBSD for now unless you set USE_PTHREAD_SPECIFIC) - looks like some thread is not unregistered (i.e. GC_remove_specific not called) on exit.

Petter -
I'm not sure about the the correctness of the fix proposed by your. So, I put it into another branch for a while - https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/tree/fix-freelist-check-and-specific
I've split your patch into a refactoring one and the fix itself (with minor modifications like 2nd AO_load_acq -> AO_load).

The alternate solution could be to call the check with the stopped world (but it seems to me not a trivial task to move the check there).

Hans -
1. Could you express your opinion about the proposed fix - https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/commit/c3dae88f9cc38c75d8450c0946fe9c4206cfd592
2. Should GC be disabled in GC_setspecific for tse allocation? - https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/commit/b71fcac4d1b65e2f412cf7edd3a6979aeb870a33
(I can't make it crash with implicit GC_gcollect_inner but I'm not sure whether GC there is always harmless.)

Regards.