[Gc] Re: Combining collected and uncollected heaps

Jan Wielemaker J.Wielemaker at vu.nl
Wed Jan 4 06:58:19 PST 2012

On 01/04/2012 03:31 PM, Hans Aberg wrote:
>>> I also think that my problem is not unique. I shouldn't be the
>>> only one who hits scalability limits of BoehmGC and for which a
>>> similar trick is a sensible alternative.
>>>
> Your description looked very specific, though it might be more
> general. My guess is that the developers of the GC will only want to
> maintain things in the latter category.

I understand that. As lead developer of SWI-Prolog I often have to make
such trade-offs.

I think the general case boils down to this:

My modified GC can support applications with a huge heap that wish to
use GC for safe reclamation of lock-free objects. Such applications are
becoming increasingly important. Using GC is much simpler than using
e.g., Hazard Pointers, in particular if you need it anyway in the
application.

	Regards --- Jan