[Gc] Re: Combining collected and uncollected heaps

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Wed Jan 4 16:14:04 PST 2012

This reply is out of order, but I just recalled that I solved a
similar problem some years ago.

The high performance way to make some objects temporarily (for some
possibly large value of temporary) "atomic" and "uncollectable" is to
modify GC_clear_marks (GC_clear_hdr_marks, really) to set the mark for
such objects instead of clearing it. When tracing finds the mark bet
set then it won't trace it (it thinks it's already been done). And the
object obviously won't be collected as it's been marked.

This can be done by keeping a parallel array of "initial mark bits",
and changing the BZERO to a BCOPY.

An additional optimization (making this virtually cost-free with
modern caches) is to make any page where all the objects are "normal"
share the same copy of an "all mark bits initially cleared" array.