[Gc] Re: Boehm GC on NetBSD 5.1

Bruno Haible bruno at clisp.org
Mon Jan 16 13:52:24 PST 2012

Hi Ivan,

> please checkout code from Git "release" (or "master") branch.

Thanks. It is not immediate how to build from there, because the
'configure' file, in particular, is not under version control.
It took me a while of trial-and-error to get it created.
How about adding these two files to the repository? Some packages
have an executable shell script called 'autogen.sh' that re-creates
the files that have been omitted from version control. Some packages call
this script 'bootstrap'. Some other packages have a file 'README-HACKING'
which contains instructions.

====================== autogen.sh for bdwgc =============================
#!/bin/sh
# Convenience script for regenerating all autogeneratable files that are
# omitted from the version control repository. In particular, this script
# also regenerates all aclocal.m4, config.h.in, Makefile.in, configure files
# with new versions of autoconf or automake.

test -f m4/pkg.m4 || {
  wget -q --timeout=5 -O m4/pkg.m4.tmp http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pkg-config/plain/pkg.m4 \
    && mv m4/pkg.m4.tmp m4/pkg.m4
}

autoreconf -i

====================== autogen.sh for libatomic_ops =====================
#!/bin/sh
# Convenience script for regenerating all autogeneratable files that are
# omitted from the version control repository. In particular, this script
# also regenerates all aclocal.m4, config.h.in, Makefile.in, configure files
# with new versions of autoconf or automake.

autoreconf -i

> Please retry with fresh snapshot and report whether a problem with
> threadkey_test still exists.

Compiles fine. "All 14 tests passed." twice. But on the 3rd "make check"
threadkey_test hangs. 'ps' shows

USER        PID %CPU %MEM     VSZ    RSS TTY    STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
haible    18720  0.0  0.5 2552764  16380 ttyp0  DEl+ 10:42PM   0:00.71 /home/haible/bdwgc/.libs/threadkey_test

This means, the process has allocated 2.5 GB of memory?!

Trying to attach a gdb does not succeed.

Bruno