[Gc] Re: Re[4]: [bdwgc] Exit abort hooks

Jean-Claude Beaudoin jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 23:18:03 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru> wrote:

> Rejected. Looks to me incorrect - it seems you just add some variables and
> setters for them but the variables are not used in GC (e.g., resume signal
> is always SIG_THR_RESTART).

If you have a look in my github repository (jcbeaudoin/bdwgc, branch
signals_init) at
file "include/private/gc_priv.h" around lines 2290-2293, you will see a
macro definition like this one:

#     define SIG_THR_RESTART GC_get_thr_restart_signal()

This macro redirection will replace every occurrence  SIG_THR_RESTART by a
call
to the new GC_get_thr_restart_signal() accessor thus providing the
init-time configured
signal value.

BTW, in the pull request I last sent you, there was a typo in the name of
the new restart
signal setter function; it should have read GC_set_thr_restart_signal()
instead of
GC_set_thread_restart_signal().

Short if this typo the code I submitted to you runs fine on Linux as is,
but did not extend the
new functionality to all other signal dependent platforms. For illustrative
purposes I did the
necessary modifications to implement this extension in a later commit to my
repository.
It mainly concerns file "include/private/gcconfig.h" and took only a few
minutes to do.
Since I have no access to those platforms outside Linux on Intel x86 I have
not been
able to compile/run this last modification on any of them.

> Let's start from the beginning: you want some new GC functionality
> allowing to suggest the collector to use some specific signals for POSIX
> threads suspension and/or resuming. To make this, I expect from you several
> easy-to-review commits:

Your demands far exceed the amount of efforts I can reasonably devote to
this exercise.

As far as I am concerned this is the end of this conversation.

So long, and thanks for all the fish. :-)