[Gc] Can sigaltstack be used in a GC registered thread?

Rodrigo Kumpera kumpera at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 17:12:01 PDT 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Jean-Claude Beaudoin <
jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> BTW, a bit of googling shows that mono seems to be facing
> the same issue.

This was fixed a couple of weeks ago, our strategy is far from optimal, but
it gives us a baseline to start working with.
When we add an altstack to a given thread we register it with the GC.
During a collection if the GC finds a thread using
the altstack, it will scan it plus the whole original stack conservatively.

This is a very rare situation so we're ok with this approach for now. Our
other collector keeps restarting the thread on
altstack until it returns to the proper stack - this works because all our
signals delivered on altstack only block if they
are aborting the process.