[Gc] Re: [libatomic_ops] On Linux, ARMv5tel does not have all functions available (#3)

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Sat Mar 3 08:39:39 PST 2012

Hi Niels,

Thank you for pointing us to this patch but IMHO this is a logically incorrect patch.
By libatomic_ops contract:
1. if some operation is not available then AO_HAVE_x just not defined;
2. for CAS ops, if we strictly need it then we should define AO_REQUIRE_CAS causing automatic fall-back on demand.
3. fetch_and_add is derived from CAS in the worth case, so you should define AO_REQUIRE_CAS as well if you need atomic inc (this seems to be not explicitly specified in the docs but should be).

Looking into arm.h (of master branch), the deference between, roughly speaking, ARMv5 and ARMv6 is in presence of CAS.

Please point me at if I misunderstand something of your post.

Regards.