[Gc] Re: Problem pthread_atfork

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Mon Mar 26 08:55:43 PST 2012

On Mon 26 Mar 2012 14:59, Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru> writes:

> 1. provide configure --enable/disable-handle-fork trigging [NO_]HANDLE_FORK

Sure, will do.

> 2. if no such option given, test atfork availability (by linking a code snippet with pthread_atfork).

Is this possible?  Surely Manuel succeeded in compiling libgc and its
tests, and the problem only occured when he went to link libgc to a
program of his that does -lpthread.

If I may suggest, perhaps the right thing to do is not enable this code
by default, as it makes otherwise correct programs incorrect.  That is,
for a program that only calls signal-safe primitives after a
multithreaded fork, this patch makes such a program depend on
unspecified behavior of their OS.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/