[Gc] Problem with GC on FreeBSD

Vitaly Magerya vmagerya at gmail.com
Wed May 2 14:59:25 PDT 2012

Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru> wrote:
>> Should I test his repo as it is, or wait until the fix hits your master
>> branch?
>
> The patches are already in master.

OK. All the tests now pass in all configurations.

>> > 2. If gc-debug is off then only stklos (not included into bdwgc) hangs
>> > regardless of USE_xxx_SPECIFIC, right?
>>
>> Right, except that with USE_CUSTOM_SPECIFIC STklos hangs during
>> thread-related regression tests, but with USE_PTHREAD_SPECIFIC it
>> segfaults (inside GC_clear_fl_marks if I'm not mistaken) prior to
>> those.
>
> I think there's no difference.

Well, it would be good if this was the same problem, not two different ones.

> Just to revise, you see this bug only in FreeBSD 8 but not in Linux or older
> BSD, right?

The problems with libgc 7.2 began in FreeBSD 9.0, and where not
present in 8.x or 7.x.

I only tested current master on FreeBSD 9.0... until this evening. I
just managed to reproduce the same problem with STklos on Linux in at
least one configuration, and it is completely absent in another, so
this may not be a libgc problem.

> Sorry, have no access to FreeBSD and Linux these days (until May 12).

As this may be a false alert, please let me run more tests and get
back to you before you invest more time in this issue.