[Gc] RE: GC version numbering

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Tue May 22 02:00:57 PDT 2012

On Tue 22 May 2012 10:18, Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru> writes:

> I add new tag after changing version in configure.
> To me it's not a problem to modify a couple of files bumping the version - the problem is to decide when we should do it and what numbers should use.
>
> Again back to gc7.2, let's finally use version name "gc-7.2b" (seems to be suitable for all parties), right?

This would be fine.

Not to bikeshed, but let me float one more idea:

  M.N.O is stable if N is even, and unstable otherwise

  O increments on each release

It's easy and conventional -- which is really what these releases are
about: communicating the state of your library with the world.  In that
regard, the more conventional, the better.

If you think this is a good idea, then one way to switch to it would be
to skip 7.2 and 7.3 altogether.

One way to change to this strategy would be to make the following
substitutions:

  7.2 -> 8.0.0
  7.2b -> 8.0.1

  7.3alphaN -> 8.1.N
  7.4 -> 8.2

Again, I don't mean to delay things.  The proposal you gave is fine with
me.  But I do think the changes I propose would be better and easy to
make at this point.

Peace,

Andy
--