[Gc] There should be a library major bump of gc library due to now having several GC_xyz "hidden" functions

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun May 27 02:11:13 PDT 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru> wrote:

> GC_set_mark_bit is already a part of public API (since 7.3)
> It is possible to make various GC_push_xxx to be public too, I think.

I am sorry I missed this thread which matches the bug report from Paulo,
but he is right: the GC_INNER feature has broken this Common Lisp
implementation (and perhaps some other software) in platforms where the
Boehm-Weiser garbage collector is installed as a shared library. Note that
this cannot be solved in the application side, because the GC_DLL is
decided by the package distributors, not by the applications that use them.

Just to set up some context, ECL needs those functions (GC_set_mark_bit,
GC_push_conditional, ...) because it registers marking functions with the
Boehm-Weiser library. If those symbols are not exported and the private
header is not installed, then the plug-in part of the Boehm-Weiser library
does not make any sense, because the user cannot really implement any
customized marking code.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC