[Gc] There should be a library major bump of gc library

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Mon May 28 07:09:21 PDT 2012

2012/5/28 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
> Hi Paulo,
>
> Mon, 28 May 2012 02:22:13 -0300 от Paulo César Pereira de Andrade<paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com>:
>> 2012/5/27 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
>> > Hi Juan and Paulo,
>> >
>> > Paulo -
>> > I've quickly glanced into the commits. I think it is not a good (or even disallowed) thing to alter 7.2 API (unlike v7.3+).
>> > The only commits to release branch now are the ones fixing some bugs or regression (hiding some symbols actively used by 3rd-party well-know projects could be considered as a regression). (The only reason for making such fixing should be making legacy code work as expected nothing more.)
>>
>>   Fedora 16 has 7.2alpha, and same for Fedora 17 beta, so it will
>> have all symbols exported there (ecl works), but rawhide was
>> update to 7.2 release 14 May.
>
> Exactly. We need to fix this regression in 7.2.
>

>> > I guess Hans is having the similar opinion of it.
>> >
>> > So, part of your patch is definitely ok for master branch. But no code of it suitable for release branch for now.
>> > Thank you for the quick response but please adjust it (being more close to the fix scenario I've outlined in my previous post).
>>
>>   Ok. The commit in master adds the GC_push* required by ecl.
>> It should be ok to make a "request for enhancement" in Fedora
>> rawhide to update to gc-7.3alpha if the commit to master is good.
>
> This should be optional if we fix 7.2.

  I think there is some misunderstanding of how to present the patches, not
the patches themselves :-) As they correct the problem for ecl with gc
release branch and master.

  Attempting to make it simpler to understand what I did, files
0001-Export-mark-bit-manipulation-functions.patch
0002-Export-GC_push-manipulation-functions-and-function-p.patch
should be applied to release branch, and file
0000-Export-GC_push-manipulation-functions-and-function-p.patch
should be applied to master.

> Regards,
> Ivan

Thanks,