[Gc] Re: boehm-gc merge for GCC

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 16 17:53:43 PST 2012

[CCing java-patches and Andrew too]

I'm currently striving for something for the 4.8 release. Not sure if relying on
an external library is the right thing to do for the 4.8 release.

Currently boehm-gc is linked to libgcj as a convenience library. I remember that
trying to link boehm-gc as a shared library did cause some performance
regressions (although I think I did only check this in the early 4.x times).

Please could you elaborate on the API changes in gcj?

There is also a second user of boehm-gc in GCC, when you configure with
--enable-objc-gc. I didn't check yet which changes are needed for that.

Would it be possible to create a branch in the GCC svn, and then prepare the
merge, and libjava and libobjc changes there?

  Matthias