[Gc] Re[2]: gcj 4.6 on OpenBSD/x86

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Tue Oct 23 12:24:59 PDT 2012

Hi Kurt,

I typically try to care about compatibility with old versions of targets at least at source level.
If you know that a certain change, would break support of old OpenBSD releases, please put the code into #ifdef block.
But, of course, it is not needed to retest the code on that old OS releases. And, it's acceptable to assume newer OpenBSD by default.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ivan

Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:11:01 -0400 Kurt Miller <kurt at intricatesoftware.com>:

>Thanks. I have the current source tree. Question for you. Do you care to support OpenBSD < 5.2 release or can we set the minimum supported version to 5.2?

In 5.2 we elminiated the userland threads model and replaced it with a 1-1 kernel supported thread model. We also eliminated some non-portable functions in 5.2. My preference is to just support 5.2 and up since userland thread model is gone for good and will not be mantained by any OpenBSD developer now. i.e. pre 5.2 support will code rot due to lack of testing.

Thanks,

-Kurt