[Gc] 7.3alpha3 not finishing test on MingW with c++ options

Joshua Scholar JoshuaScholar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 13:36:20 PST 2012

Since you couldn't reproduce I decided to make sure that _I_ can
reproduce.

I'm getting hangs at random (a few times in gctest and once in
realloc_test),
and test_cpp ALWAYS CRASHES with a windows exception that reads:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	test_cpp.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	508ecb56
  Fault Module Name:	ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version:	6.1.7601.17725
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4ec49b60
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00052c39
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

gctest is currently hung, though it passed 4 times before it hung.
I ran in manually after that.  It ran twice then hung on the third
try.

I put the laptop in suspend in the middle of reallloc_test once by
accident.  When i unsuspended there were two realoc_test processes
and they were both hung.  While realloc_test doesn't seem to hang
tested on it's own, I did try starting a bunch of them at once
manually, ie "realloc_test&" that worked once.  But on the second
try I was left with two processes that don't end. Does realloc_test
fork? Whenever I run it I see two processes - but I kill one and they both
disappear.

I'm running on an atom with hyperthreading so if the tests use multiple
threads, then I am getting something like multiprocessor contention.

My MinGW compiler is the 4.5.4 which is the current default install.
Does the linux environment I ran autogen.sh on affect things?  I think
that one had gcc 4.2

I DID try your incantation by the way the resulting file runs, but
as I said I haven't been able to get middle to crash anyway. The
first time I ran your versionthe final heap size was 65536, the
other 3 times I ran it the final heap size was 131072.

since I didn't figure out how gctest is compiled, I tried your
incantation with test_cpp.cc instead of middle.c, but that failed
to compile with errors like:
C:\...\AppData\Local\Temp\ccE0Mpa1.o:test_cpp.cc:(.text+0x2fc):
undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)'
C:\...\AppData\Local\Temp\ccE0Mpa1.o:test_cpp.cc:(.rdata$_ZTI1C
[typeinfofor C]+0x0): undefined reference to `vtable for
__cxxabiv1::__vmi_class_type_inf
o'