[Gc] Silently fails to allocate memory?

The Devils Jester thedevilsjester at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 12:57:47 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Bruce Hoult <bruce at hoult.org> wrote:

> b is allocated by the GC. The memory used internally by a to store your
> myclass*'s is not.
>
> See other messages today for how to fix that.

While that is something important to consider (and might have caused issues
later on in my application), I am fairly certain that in the current
testing process there are no vectors being used / created / resized within
the loop.  For the sake of argument though, even if there are, would not
the worse case scenario be exactly the same as just disabling libgc
entirely?  This is what I keep coming back to.  With libgc disabled,
everything works properly (other than the steadily increasing memory leak).
 It does not run out of memory,  and all objects are created as intended.

If I am doing something wrong, what could I possibly do that would result
in this situation?