[Gc] threads and windows

Carsten Kehler Holst ckh at pdc.dk
Tue Jul 2 06:06:20 PDT 2013

We are using bdw-gc latest version (or very close). Running under windows.
We are experiencing very bad performance when running with several threads.

A simple concurrent program actually runs slower (40%) when using more than one thread.
Reading the documentation and the code it looks as if that is a known problem - cannot use parallel mark or local thread storage.

We are using the gc in our prolog system and need it to work with dlls and to be able to handle external threads calling our code.

Our questions are

Have anyone worked on this and got some solution or progress towards a solution?
How does it behave on other platforms, is it an inherent problem or could we hope to solve it?

Regards
Carsten Kehler Holst
Visual Prolog Team
Prolog Development Center A/S