[Gc] Linking with -lgc and --version-script make linkage fails

Alexis BRENON abrenon at wyplay.com
Mon Jul 8 01:29:19 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm working on a MIPS computer and I try to compile a very big project
(Pypy). But during compilation I've got a compilation error during
linking. To debug this, I try to use the same Makefile to compile an
easy Hello World C file with the same options.
It appears that first, I've got an error caused by the --version-script
option. This one was fixed updating my binutils from 2.21.1a to 2.23.
But the -lgc error remains...
If I only use the -lgc option, compilation works. But if I use it with
the --version-script option, linking fails with this error :
/opt/[...]/bin/ld: test: local symbol `__data_start' in
/opt/[...]/usr/lib/crt1.o is referenced by DSO
/opt/[...]/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
You can find more tests with different options on this pastebin :
http://pastebin.com/F8NvC0Ex

This errors have stuck me since 2 weeks :'-( Have you got any idea of
what can be wrong, or where can I start to search for a fix ?
If you want more information, ask me.

Friendly,
Alexis BRENON.