[Gc] typed GC with marking routine...

Basile Starynkevitch basile at starynkevitch.net
Tue Mar 12 10:47:14 PST 2013

Hello All,

I'm interested in using Boehm's GC in a multi-threaded program
(which I did not start coding yet) which will be a boostrapped compiler for some
experimental eager language.

(BTW, I am a bit familiar with GC technology, I designed MELT http://gcc-melt.org/
which is a domain specific language to extend GCC, and MELT has a mostly copying precise GC
and is a bootstrapped Lisp-like language translated to C)

FWIW, My debian/sid/x86-64 has libgc-dev version 1:7.1-9.1 but I also compiled the very latest git.

I would like to provide a "precise" marking routine (what exactly is its API) for every value in my language.
So I want to use Boehm's GC semi-precisely: conservatively for stacks, but precisely for GC-allocated heap values.

It seems that gc/gc_typed.h gives only the ability to have descriptors which are bit masks giving the pointers.

Is there a way (in the public GC API) to give a marking routine and to allocate values with it?

[[IIRC, some slides by Hans Boehm mentioned this possibility]]

Cheers.