[httperf] how do I simulate real users

David Mosberger httperf@napali.hpl.hp.com
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:52:03 -0800

  Paonia> I want to simulate 100 concurrent users. I therefore need
  Paonia> not to have persistent connections on.  I would also like to
  Paonia> be able to control the number of connections simulated at
  Paonia> any one time.  I have been using: httperf --server cypher
  Paonia> --port 8080 --uri /jontest.html --num-conns 50000 rate 1200
  Paonia> --hog and though this seems close, it does not really do it.
  Paonia> I would also like to be able to control the speed of each or
  Paonia> all clients so I could simulate a dsl,14.4,28.8,t1 user.
  Paonia> Any help would be very much apreciated.

Simulating users does not require persistent connections.  However, it
does mean that you'll probably want to use one of the session-oriented
workload generators.  In httperf-speak, a "session" is roughly
equivalent to a user.  See the description of options --wsess and/or
--wsesslog in the manpage for more details.

With the workload generators currently implemented in httperf, there
are no provisions to directly limit the bandwidth of each user.
However, you should be able to get close by using suitable parameters
for --wsess or using a suitable session file for --wsesslog.

	--david