[httperf] how do I simulate real users

Paonia Ezrine httperf@napali.hpl.hp.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:02:36 -0500 (EST)

>   Paonia> I want to simulate 100 concurrent users. I therefore need
>   Paonia> not to have persistent connections on.  I would also like to
>   Paonia> be able to control the number of connections simulated at
>   Paonia> any one time.  I have been using: httperf --server cypher
>   Paonia> --port 8080 --uri /jontest.html --num-conns 50000 rate 1200
>   Paonia> --hog and though this seems close, it does not really do it.
>   Paonia> I would also like to be able to control the speed of each or
>   Paonia> all clients so I could simulate a dsl,14.4,28.8,t1 user.
>   Paonia> Any help would be very much apreciated.
>
> Simulating users does not require persistent connections.  However, it
> does mean that you'll probably want to use one of the session-oriented
> workload generators.  In httperf-speak, a "session" is roughly
> equivalent to a user.  See the description of options --wsess and/or
> --wsesslog in the manpage for more details.

Ok, I am back at it. Here is what I used:
httperf --server switch --port 80 --uri /jontest.html --wsess=500,100,0
--burst-len 100 --hog

I was not sure if this was doing persistent connections.  I need to not
be doing persistent connections.

What I want to do here is simulate a large number of seperate users each
doing one hit and going away. I would like to be able to control the max
number of users who are trying to connect, but if I can't that is fine. I
think the above might be close but it looks like it is only doing 4 users
getting one url each. Because of --max-connections being fixed at 4.

Any help would be very much apreciated.
Thanks,
Paonia