[httperf] session based workload generator

Diwakar Krishnamurthy httperf@napali.hpl.hp.com
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:58:12 -0400 (EDT)

I was wondering if there is an easy way of supporting the following
feature in httperf.

I would like to make use of the session-based workload generator (the one
described by wsesslog.c). However, I want to support an input file as
follows

# session 1
/add_to_cart/product_id=2 think=2.0
/order_initiate/product_id=2 think=2.0
/place_order/order_id=$OID think=2.0

i.e the file may contain some fields for the URIs that may not be known
before hand (in this example the value of order_id)

In the above example, the results thrown up by (i.e. the HTML page)
executing /order_initate/product_id=2 would contain the value of the
parameter order_id in the /place_order URI. So I need to be able to parse
the results of /order_initiate/product_id=2 to determine the value of
order_id and hence invoke the next URI in the session. Is there an easy
way of doing it in httperf? If so, what data structures should I be
looking into? (Which session related datastructure stores the html text
retrieved by invoking an URI) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Diwakar.