[httperf] Httperf and firewall performance measurement

Martin F. Arlitt httperf@napali.hpl.hp.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:00:09 +0000

Hasan

it should be possible to utilize httperf to evaluate firewall performance.
however, you will need to keep a number of issues in mind (one of which
you have already mentioned):

1.  using httperf you can evaluate the performance of the firewall when
handling HTTP (or SSL) traffic.  you cannot use httperf (directly) to generate
other protocols that may make up a significant portion of a realistic firewall
workload (i.e., your first step should be to identify what a real firewall workload
looks like)

2.  when testing HTTP (or SSL) traffic, you need to ensure that you
are stressing the firewall and not the Web server(s).  I would recommend
evaluating the performance of the Web server(s) first, so that when you try
to stress the firewall, you will have a better idea of whether the bottleneck
is the firewall or the server(s).

Martin