[httperf] Fw: Re: information

Martin Arlitt httperf@napali.hpl.hp.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 07:51:32 -0800 (PST)


Talles

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you are asking, but I'll try
to describe how I use the metrics to determine how the server is behaving.
I've included two examples below to help clarify.

in the first example I asked httperf to issue 100 requests per second
to the server.  the results indicate that the server was able to handle
this load without any problems; the achieved connection rate, request
rate,and response rate were all 100/sec.  furthermore, there were less than 2
conncurrent connections open at any time during the test, and the
average reply times were very low (2.1ms).

in the second example I asked httperf to issue 200 requests per second to
the server.  the results indicate that in this case the server was not
able to handle the load.  the first indication that there is a problem is
the connection rate is only 194.5 conn/s (I've verified that the
bottleneck is the server, not the client).  second, the request rate is
only 186.4 reqs/s.  third, the reply rate is only 33.7 per second on
average, with a reply time of 1061.3ms.  note that there are 9,743
errors; these are all timeouts (i.e., httperf has discarded the attempted
request because the server has taken longer than 2 seconds to complete the
reply).  also note that there were upto 403 conncurrent connections open
during this test, another indication that the server was having a lot of
difficulty.  

Martin

----------
example 1:
bash$ ./httperf --server=etna --num-calls=1 --num-conns=6000 --rate=100
--timeout=2

Total: connections 6000 requests 6000 replies 6000 test-duration 59.993 s

Connection rate: 100.0 conn/s (10.0 ms/conn, <=2 concurrent connections)
Connection time [ms]: min 2.4 avg 2.6 max 18.5 median 2.5 stddev 0.6
Connection time [ms]: connect 0.3
Connection length [replies/conn]: 1.000

Request rate: 100.0 req/s (10.0 ms/req)
Request size [B]: 61.0

Reply rate [replies/s]: min 100.0 avg 100.0 max 100.0 stddev 0.0 (11 samples)
Reply time [ms]: response 2.1 transfer 0.0
Reply size [B]: header 225.0 content 48.0 footer 0.0 (total 273.0)
Reply status: 1xx=0 2xx=6000 3xx=0 4xx=0 5xx=0

CPU time [s]: user 19.66 system 40.21 (user 32.8% system 67.0% total 99.8%)
Net I/O: 32.6 KB/s (0.3*10^6 bps)

Errors: total 0 client-timo 0 socket-timo 0 connrefused 0 connreset 0
Errors: fd-unavail 0 addrunavail 0 ftab-full 0 other 0


----------
example 2:
bash$ ./httperf --server=etna --num-calls=1 --num-conns=12000 --rate=200 
--timeout=2

Total: connections 12000 requests 11505 replies 2257 test-duration 61.707 s

Connection rate: 194.5 conn/s (5.1 ms/conn, <=403 concurrent connections)
Connection time [ms]: min 3.0 avg 1063.0 max 2010.6 median 974.5 stddev 826.8
Connection time [ms]: connect 2.2
Connection length [replies/conn]: 1.000

Request rate: 186.4 req/s (5.4 ms/req)
Request size [B]: 61.0

Reply rate [replies/s]: min 9.4 avg 33.7 max 179.0 stddev 52.6 (12 samples)
Reply time [ms]: response 1061.3 transfer 0.0
Reply size [B]: header 225.0 content 48.0 footer 0.0 (total 273.0)
Reply status: 1xx=0 2xx=2257 3xx=0 4xx=0 5xx=0

CPU time [s]: user 3.18 system 58.33 (user 5.2% system 94.5% total 99.7%)
Net I/O: 20.9 KB/s (0.2*10^6 bps)

Errors: total 9743 client-timo 9743 socket-timo 0 connrefused 0 connreset 0
Errors: fd-unavail 0 addrunavail 0 ftab-full 0 other 0



On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, tmgab wrote:

> ---------- Mensagem original -----------
> 
> De      : David Mosberger <davidm@hpl.hp.com>
> Para    : "Talles Marcelo Gab" <tmgab@zaz.com.br>
> Cc      : 
> Data    : Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:01:28 -0800
> Assunto : Re: information
> 
> Please send such questions to httperf@linux.hpl.hp.com.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> 	--david
> 
> >>>>> On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 20:15:17 -0200, "Talles Marcelo Gab" 
> <tmgab@zaz.com.br> said:
> 
>   Talles> Hi ,
> 
>   Talles> I'd like to know about the corralation between AVg Request
>   Talles> Rate and Response time in htttperf results . Is there some
>   Talles> relationship between this metrics?
> 
>   Talles> Thanks Talles <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
>   Talles> Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
>   Talles> http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
>   Talles> charset=iso-8859-1"> <META content="MSHTML 5.50.4134.100"
>   Talles> name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY
>   Talles> bgColor=#ffffff> <DIV><FONT face=Arial
>   Talles> size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi
>   Talles> ,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial
>   Talles> size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I'd
>   Talles> like to know about the corralation between AVg Request Rate
>   Talles> and  Response time in htttperf results . Is there some
>   Talles> relationship between this metrics?</FONT></DIV>
>   Talles> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial
>   Talles> size=2>Thanks</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial
>   Talles> size=2>Talles</FONT> </DIV></BODY></HTML>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> --
> To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe httperf | mail majordomo@linux.hpl.hp.com
> 


--
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe httperf | mail majordomo@linux.hpl.hp.com