[httperf] HTTP Web Server performance limitaitons

Deepak Hegde httperf@napali.hpl.hp.com
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 06:07:31 -0700 (PDT)

--0-352221728-999868051=:41098

Hi,

I am running httperf to test the web server performance. The web server runs on a high end Linux machine with sufficiently large memory and disk space. However, I am able to achieve only about 600 connections per second, even with two clients running the httperf simultaneously. I have tried tuning the Web Server parameters (MaxClients, MaxSpareServers, MaxRequestsPerChild etc) and OS parameters (open file descriptors, tcp/apache listen backlogs, SYN Cookies etc) to increase the resource availability. The CPU seems to be pretty busy when the test are being run. This seems to be the limiting factor. Can anyone suggest other possible bottlenecks or how to detect them ?

Thanks

Deepak

--0-352221728-999868051=:41098

<P>Hi, </P>
<P>I am running httperf to test the web server performance. The web server runs on a high end Linux machine with sufficiently large memory and disk space. However, I am able to achieve only about 600 connections per second, even with two clients running the httperf simultaneously. I have tried tuning the Web Server parameters (MaxClients, MaxSpareServers, MaxRequestsPerChild etc) and&nbsp;OS parameters (open file descriptors, tcp/apache listen backlogs, SYN Cookies etc) to increase the resource availability. The CPU seems to be pretty busy when the test are being run. This seems to be the limiting factor. Can anyone suggest other possible bottlenecks or how to detect them ?</P>
<P>Thanks</P>
Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with <a
href="http://rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/tag/?http://im.yahoo.com/">Yahoo! Messenger</a>.
--0-352221728-999868051=:41098--