[httperf] httperf help required

Naresh Kumar naresh at cse.iitb.ac.in
Fri Feb 27 02:41:51 PST 2004

Hello,
I am doing M.Tech in CS from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay. We are
trying to come up with a new overload control approach for E-commerce Web servers. We are using httperf for
our experiments.

My problem is, httperf is working fine with request-oriented load, when using session-based workload, its gives "Segmentation fault" (and terminate without giving any results) when the
load is near to capacity of Web server. Thus I am not able to increase load beyond the capacity of server.

I am using --wsesslog option to specify session-based workload, for example:

httperf --server=10.105.22.164 --port=2222 --timeout=20 --rate=8
--wsesslog=1600,1,sess.txt --think-timeout=3 --http-version='1.0'

Sample input file (sess.txt) used for experiment was:

/html/intro.html
    /gif/home.gif
    /gif/next.gif
    /gif/prev.gif
/html/modules.html think=0.1
    /images/terminal-beos.jpg
    /images/terminal-macosx.jpg
    /gif/warning.gif
/html/cmdline.html
    /html/http.html
    /html/gpl.html
/cgi-bin/test.pl think=0.2
/cgi-bin/cs681hw4000 think=0.3
/cgi-bin/cs681hw

I have tried changing input file and increasing the buffer size, but its
doesn't help.
May you advice how can I fix this problem?
Thanks

Regards,
Naresh Kumar
M.Tech, Computer Science
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India.