[httperf] Re: Problem with httperf

Martin Arlitt arlitt at hpl.hp.com
Mon Feb 14 09:28:15 PST 2005

Mani

the problem appears to be (as the httperf error message suggests) that
your server is not returning a properly formatted status line.

according to section 6.1 of RFC 2616, the proper format of the status line
is:

Status-Line = HTTP-version SP Status-Code SP Reason-Phrase CRLF

in the example you give, the status line should look like:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

in the status line httperf printed, there are two problems; the missing
'/' in the HTTP version, and the status-code is missing.

to verify that the problem is with your server and not with httperf, you
can try the following (changing "yourserver" to the hostname or IP address
of your server):

$ telnet yourserver 80
Trying yourserver...
Connected to yourserver.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: yourserver

(don't forget the extra return to get the server to generate the
response).
-the response should look something like the following:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:16:04 GMT
Server: your_java_server
.
.
.

Connection closed by foreign host.

-if the status line is different from above, (e.g., "HTTP 1.1 OK"), then
there is a problem with your server.

Martin