[httperf] Modify httperf to do host lookups for each request

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Thu Apr 6 09:56:49 PDT 2006

> 2. if you want to modify httperf to do a dns lookup for each new TCP
> connection that is established, you could replace the call to hash_lookup
> in core_connect with a dns lookup.
>
> please note that I haven't attempted this, so there may be some side
> effects that you need to handle.

while you are there you may want to replace gethostbyname (gethostbyaddr
is for IP to name, not name to ip) with getaddrinfo as a step towards
supporting IPv6 :) Even if you tell it to only return AF_INET (ie IPv4)
addresses. Some examples may be found in the sourcecode for netperf2 and
netperf4 which can be grabbed via subversion from
http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2  and
http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf4 respectively

rick jones