[httperf] University Engineering Team Plan 0.8.1 and Beyond

Ted Bullock tbullock at canada.com
Fri Dec 8 11:42:19 PST 2006

As you may have noticed, our team has sent out a number of patches to
httperf recently.

They are all attached and include the following:
patch-httperf-0.8-compiler_warnings-2.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-configure_fixed.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-content-length-fix-1.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-host_header.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-persistent-connections-1.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-ssl_writev-alloca-fix-robust.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-timer-reset-1.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-wsesslog_crash.patch

These patches are all bug fixes of one type or another.  The
descriptions of each are available in the patch files themselves. Note
that at this time we have not included a fix to the maximum File
Descriptor problem as we are not satisfied with the current
implementation of the solution.

Our intention is to have these changes above become a bug fix 0.8.1
release pending some additional testing and also approval from HP (Martin).

The following patches have been verified by our team and we feel no
changes need to be made to these:
patch-httperf-0.8-compiler_warnings-2.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-configure_fixed.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-host_header.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-ssl_writev-alloca-fix-robust.patch

The following patches have not been directly verified by our team, but
have been used in the community and we feel that they are acceptable as
they stand since no complaints have arisen against them:
patch-httperf-0.8-wsesslog_crash.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-persistent-connections-1.patch

The following patches need to be reviewed and tested by our team and the
community:
patch-httperf-0.8-content-length-fix-1.patch
patch-httperf-0.8-timer-reset-1.patch

Hopefully we can ensure that everything is satisfactory and submit these
for a bug fix release 0.8.1 (including updates to change log and other
relevant documentation). However, note that there are no proposed
changes to cross platform usability in this release. Platforms that are
currently working should continue to work after these changes, but no
new platforms will be introduced.

Following this, we are working at re-factoring the old autotool build
system scripts to improve cross platform compatibility.  This includes
writing the currently absent Makefile.am automake files and re-writing
the configure.ac file to handle other platforms by default.  Already we
have a working patch (re-write) that allows out of the box compilation
on the OpenBSD and Linux platforms (and likely Mac OS X and FreeBSD as
well).

We would really appreciate feedback so let us know what you think

-Ted