[httperf] timeout

Martin Arlitt arlitt at hpl.hp.com
Tue Jan 10 13:25:31 PST 2006

Mark

If I remember correctly for a timeout value of N, you have:

N seconds to complete the TCP SYN handshake to establish the connection;
N seconds to issue the request;
N seconds to receive the first byte of the response from the server;
N seconds to receive the last byte of the response from the server.

in your case, is httperf timing out the connection 10 seconds after the
initial HTTP response packet is received?  if so, this is normal httperf
behavior (i.e., it does not reset the timer on each packet arrival from
the server).  this emulates the way users can abort a request/connection
if they feel it is taking too long, even though it may be making progress
slowly.

Martin