[httperf] Why does httperf take extra time even after completion

Prakhar Goyal prakhargoyal at cse.iitb.ac.in
Mon Jul 3 23:44:17 PDT 2006

Hello Sir,
The tool proved to be very helpful to me in my performance analysis of Web
server.

In one expt, it displayed a test duration of 406 secs.

I ran 'top' and 'sar' on the web server, and also on the client machine,
on which httperf was running.

I found that when the web server has stopped utilizing cpu (ie, the test
is completed) , then also the httperf was running for some 6 -8 secs with
cpu util of 100 % on the client machine.

Why does httperf take extra time ( in this case 6-8 secs) , even after the
web server has stopped handling the requests..

Any kind of help will be most valauble.

Regards,
Prakhar,
IIT Bombay, India.