[httperf] Application implementation

Martin Arlitt arlitt at hpl.hp.com
Fri Jun 30 14:45:03 PDT 2006

hi Bhagwan

>     I have an application which implements an online Travel agency
> this has been tested on TPC-W bench mark. I am trying to test it on
> httperf. My question is Each client session should follow a pattern
> like: go to main page, sign in, browse flights, purchase tickets and
> check out. Now how can I find
>
> the probability that an item is added to the cart, given that it has
> been browsed.
>
> the probability of proceeding to check out, given that it has been just
> added to the cart.
>
> Is there a way to find all these probabilites and anything close to it.

are you referring to the probabilities used in TPC-W? I'm not familiar
with the details of the benchmark, you could look for documents on the TPC
web site for example.  if you had the server logs from a run of the TPC-W
workload, you could extract the individual sessions and estimate the
probabilities that were used.

> ALSO ONE MAIN QUESTION IS CAN WE HAVE A VARIED REQUEST RATE WITHIN A
> SINGLE CLIENT SESSION as I know we can use the --period option to have
> an distributed session rate but the request rate within each client
> session is constant.

you could define many different sessions (--wsesslog), and use think times
within the log file of sessions to control the request rate.  It takes
some thought, but it can be done.