[httperf] Httperf client timeout while making progress

Jesse Byler lists.httperf at web19.eml.cc
Sat Nov 25 16:36:29 PST 2006

Hi Chris,

The --hog option, as you discovered, causes httperf to bind() before
connect()ing, so that it can use the full range of source ports instead
of the normal high-numbered source ports the OS defaults to using.  This
allows a greater number of TCP sockets to be used.

The problem is that the number of open file descriptors is limited in
several places - hard and soft limits are imposed by the shell and can
be set with ulimit.  Also, httperf has a compiled-in limit that comes
from the libc include files.  And httperf needs a file descriptor for
each open socket.  See the threads here:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/hosted/linux/mail-archives/httperf/2005-November/thread.html

for a patch to httperf that fixes the problem.

Good luck!
-Jesse

-----

The information contained in this electronic mail
and any attached document is the confidential and
proprietary business information of Forum Systems,
Inc. It is intended solely for the addressed
recipient listed above. It may not be distributed
in any manner without the express written consent
of Forum Systems, Inc.