[httperf] request rate steps

rahul gundecha rahoolgundecha at yahoo.co.in
Tue Aug 28 12:04:10 PDT 2007

thanks Rick and Tim for replies.

Actually I was thinking of how to get the condition where we are increasing load and after reaching to very high load, we decrease it. In this case response time  should get increased after reducing load as well for a short time.
I was wondering whether server which is heavily loaded will remain in same condition until the time next instant of httperf starts. By same condition, I mean soft resources are being less, or needed to be freed which makes Response time to increase.

I am curious to know about hows this happen. How long it take for server to come out of condition so-called "heavily loaded" ? (from the time when we reduce the load.)

thanks,
-Rahul

Rick Jones <rick.jones2 at hp.com> wrote: If you are concerned about the load going to zero for short periods of time, if
you are going to be scripting things anway, might script it to add additional
instances of httperf rather than killing the old one and starting a new one at a
higher level.  You need to make certain the earlier instances are configured to
run "long enough" or perhaps "forever" and rely on a signal to tell them when to
cease and/or emit interim results.

How easily that is done with httperf I've no idea, but if it can be done that
would address your concerns about the load tapering off between levels.

Specifically what are you concerned about anyway?  A great many benchmarks work
the way previously described - stop one load leve start another higher one - so
if there is indeed a non-trivial problem it might be good to discuss it further.

rick jones

-Rahooooooooooooooool...
 exceptions are most common things to happen.....