[httperf] httperf c compiler

Ted Bullock tbullock at canada.com
Fri Jan 26 18:16:50 PST 2007

So I have been working on the build system again today trying to ensure
maximum cross platform support.

I have reasoned that the default system compiler on a platform is the
ideal compiler to use to build a piece of software for that platform.
Usually this is identified by *cc* .

On open source platforms this almost always points to some version of
gcc, however the proprietary platforms like HP-UX and formally Solaris
use their own custom c compilers.

As such I have set httperf to build using the system default as its
first choice, and if it is not available or usable, to search for gcc.
So far I have successfully built httperf SuSE Linux 10.2, OpenBSD 4.0,
FreeBSD 6.1, HP-UX 11i 11.11, and Solaris 8 platforms.

Before running configure, it is always possible to set the desired
compiler manually:
export CC=gcc (on Linux, BSD, HP-UX)
setenv CC gcc (on Solaris)

Again, check out our school project work via anonymous cvs
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.enel.ucalgary.ca:/cvs login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.enel.ucalgary.ca:/cvs co -P httperf

You will need autoconf 2.60 or higher as well as automake 1.9 or higher
to configure the build.

I would appreciate feedback, especially if it doesn't build on some
platform I haven't tested.

-Ted