[httperf] requests doesn't pass through proxy server

Arlitt, Martin martin.arlitt at hp.com
Tue Oct 2 10:54:39 PDT 2007

Hi Rahul

httperf doesn't know about proxies, so it won't automatically discover
the proxy from your environment variable.

Although httperf was designed to work specifically with Web servers, you
can make it work with a proxy:

httperf -server=proxy-ipaddr -port=proxy-port
-uri=http://server-ipaddr/uri

For example, if your proxy's IP address is 192.168.0.1 and its port is
8088, and your Web server's IP address  is 192.168.0.2 (on the default
port 80) then the following command should retrieve the home page from
your web server via your proxy:

httperf -server=192.168.0.1 -port=8088 -uri=http://192.168.0.2/

if your Web server is running on a different port, e.g., 8000, then add
that to the uri; e.g., http://192.168.0.2:8000/.

in other words, point httperf at the proxy instead of the server, and
set the uri to what would appear in your browser's address bar..

To verify that this is going through the proxy, you can use the
-print-reply=header option, and look for http headers like
Proxy-Connection" or "Via"  (or look in your proxy and server logs, or
use tcpdump, etc).

I hope this helps.

Martin