[httperf] requests doesn't pass through proxy server

rahul gundecha rahoolgundecha at yahoo.co.in
Tue Oct 2 23:35:49 PDT 2007

Thanks alot Martin for your kind help.

I verified your solution by looking into header, "via" had entry for proxy.

Thanks again for explaining the complete solution. I really appreciate that.

regards,
-Rahul

"Arlitt, Martin" <martin.arlitt at hp.com> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}           Hi Rahul

  httperf doesn’t know about proxies, so it won’t automatically discover the proxy from your environment variable.

  Although httperf was designed to work specifically with Web servers, you can make it work with a proxy:

  httperf –server=proxy-ipaddr –port=proxy-port –uri=http://server-ipaddr/uri

  For example, if your proxy’s IP address is 192.168.0.1 and its port is 8088, and your Web server’s IP address  is 192.168.0.2 (on the default port 80) then the following command should retrieve the home page from your web server via your proxy:

  httperf –server=192.168.0.1 –port=8088 –uri=http://192.168.0.2/

  if your Web server is running on a different port, e.g., 8000, then add that to the uri; e.g., http://192.168.0.2:8000/.

  in other words, point httperf at the proxy instead of the server, and set the uri to what would appear in your browser’s address bar..

  To verify that this is going through the proxy, you can use the –print-reply=header option, and look for http headers like Proxy-Connection” or “Via”  (or look in your proxy and server logs, or use tcpdump, etc).

  I hope this helps.

  Martin