[httperf] Connection: close problem

Elliot Temple curi at curi.us
Thu Feb 28 23:53:30 PST 2008

How do I tell httperf not to expect to be able to send multiple
requests per connection, when using --wsesslog?

I'm getting connreset errors with a server that doesn't support keep-
alive (mongrel). I can get the same results with one that does
(webrick) by adding a header:

httperf --hog --session-cookie --server=10.0.1.196 --port=3000 --
wsesslog=1,0,test/httperf/simple --add-header='Connection: close'

Total: connections 3 requests 5 replies 3 test-duration 90.036 s

Errors: total 2 client-timo 0 socket-timo 0 connrefused 0 connreset 2

Although this is actually much worse -- 90 seconds! In the other case
at least it was fast. I know there is a --num-calls option, but it
doesn't seem to work with --wsesslog, and I don't think it's supposed
to. Instead --wsess documentation says (and i assume this applies to
wsesslog too):

> Whether a persistent connection is used depends on whether the
> server responds to the first call with a reply that includes a
> ‘‘Connection: close’’ header line. If such a line is present,
> separate connections are used.

I checked with curl, and both servers are returning Connection: close
in the header (webrick only when you send connection: close). So
either I am misunderstanding something, or it's not working. Please
advise.

I'm running OS X 10.5.2 and my version is httperf-0.8 compiled Feb 18
2008 without DEBUG without TIME_SYSCALLS. I realize .9 is out and I
looked through the changelog and didn't see anything relevant, but I
can upgrade if necessary.

Thanks,

-- Elliot Temple
http://curi.us/