[httperf] Connection: close problem

Arlitt, Martin martin.arlitt at hp.com
Fri Feb 29 06:41:00 PST 2008

Hi Elliot

I don't know of any way to tell httperf "not to expect to be able to send multiple requests per connection", although it should obey "Connection: close" headers from the server (that said, there are situations such as when pipelining is used and the server has a threshold of more than 1 request per connection but less than the number of requests per session, where requests can be in flight when the "Connection: close" is received).

You can specify "--http-version=1.0" to make httperf only issue one request per connection.  However, it will only issue one request per connection, even if the server supports persistent connections.

Could you please send a trace of the request and response headers sent in each of the cases you described (i.e., using --print-request=header and --print-reply=header)?  I'd like to understand why httperf is not obeying "Connection: close" headers from the server.  You may also want to capture a packet trace with tcpdump so we can see the tcp behavior of each connection (e.g., tcpdump -nn -iX -s0 -w http_trace).

Note that you should be specifying a '\n' at the end of the --add-header option, and that httperf treats this as an arbitrary string, it won't actually initiate the connection close based on this.

Also, for the low-rate tests you are doing, httperf version 0.8 should be fine.  However, if you were to test at much higher rates, upgrading would be recommended, as 0.8 has a bug in the session feature; this is fixed in 0.8.1 and beyond.