[httperf] Undestanding request rate

Mariano Cortesi mcortesi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:06:19 PST 2009

Hi,

I'm doing some stress tests with autobench + httpperf; and I have some
problems understanding the request rate that I get in the results.

The call I make is something like:

httperf --hog --timeout=5 --client=0/1 --server=myserver.com --port=80
--uri=/ --rate=4000 --send-buffer=4096 --recv-buffer=16384
--num-conns=120000 --num-calls=1

So I would expect a resulting request rate of 4000 requests/second.
But it achieves a request rate of 3000 r/s, and stays there.

Why's that?

I don't see how the server could be a problem, because, in any case,
the httpperf could try to make a new connection and get kicked out by
the server. But when I started searching for that in the server, i
didn't find any log saying that.

So, does anybody knows? Shouldn't the request rate always be the same
as the specificed in command line? why not?

Best Regards,
Mariano