[httperf] connection failed with unexpected error 99

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Tue Mar 31 08:58:42 PST 2009

Kyle Campos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running into this error when I get to a very specific rate:
>
> $ httperf --server 192.168.24.53 --port 8080 --timeout 10 --wsesslog
> 48000,1,data.load --rate 480
> $ httperf: connection failed with unexpected error 99
>
> [1]+  Segmentation fault
>
> And this error occurs somewhere towards the end of the test. My  driving
> box has plenty of memory left. Googling this error hasn't  shown me much
> of anything. A rate of 440 passes with flying colors. No  errors are
> seen on the SUT.
>
> Anyone ran into this before?

The first thing to do is find-out what error number 99 means.  If that is an
errno value, then it should be in one of the "errno.h" include files on your
system.  If it were HP-UX I would do something like:

grep 99 /usr/include/sys/errno.h

the specific errno.h file on your platform may be in a different place - you
should start with any errno.h include in the httperf source and follow the
includes from there.  That, or write a small test program to set errno to 99 and
call strerror() or perror() to get the mnemonic.

It would also be good to check the httperf source itself to make sure it isn't an
error code tossed-up by httperf rather than a system call.

rick jones