[httperf] Undestanding request rate

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Tue Mar 31 18:29:13 PST 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Arlitt, Martin wrote:

> The request rate specified on the command line is the desired successful
> request rate.  However, there are numerous reasons why the desired rate
> may not be achieved.  For example, resources on the client may be
> exhausted, so httperf cannot obtain sufficient resources to reach the
> desired rate.  The server may become overloaded, so httperf is unable to
> establish enough TCP connections, and thus the desired number of HTTP
> requests cannot be issued.  The network between the httperf client and
> the server could also be a bottleneck, so that either the TCP connection
> establishment does not complete in time, or the HTTP request does not
> get acknowledged in time for it to be considered "successful".

in addition to all of these things there is also the precision of your
timer

httperf calculates how long it needs to wait between starting each
connection and sets the timer for that long. the timers are guarenteed to
not alert httperf any sooner than that timer value, but they may wait a
little longer than that timer value.

when you start getting up to high rates the slight additional time can
make a significant difference in the actual rate that you get.

there is a page that talks about high performance tweaking for httperf,
look at that for options to try with the timer.

David Lang