[httperf] Size of the request

Arlitt, Martin martin.arlitt at hp.com
Tue Aug 31 15:42:38 PDT 2010

Hi Rafael

The only way I am aware to do this is to add one or more request headers; for example, in the httperf command line include -add-header="Extra-Header: This is padding\n".

According to Section 7.1 of the HTTP specification (RFC 2616), "unrecognized header fields SHOULD be ignored by the recipient". If the server you are using does not ignore it (resulting in an error rather than a successful transfer of the requested object), then I'm not sure what you can do.

Please keep in mind that HTTP requests are not fixed lengths. Thus if the request URI changes, you may have to revise the added header to keep the overall request size to a desired value (e.g., 150 bytes). If you are using a session-based workload, this approach may not work either.

Also, in case you are not aware, you can use -print-request=header to see the contents of the request being sent to the server, and -print-reply=header to see the response headers that are returned.