[httperf] RE: How to set the ramp-up and ramp-down periods of httperf load generator?

Arlitt, Martin martin.arlitt at hp.com
Wed Dec 1 05:57:15 PST 2010

Hi Cooky

If you are generating a session-based workload, then there will be the three phases you mention. You don't need to specify any special httperf option, they will be artifacts of the sessions you create. If you look carefully through the httperf mailing list archive http://www.hpl.hp.com/hosted/linux/mail-archives/httperf/ you should find a response I posted some years back about how to calculate what the ramp-up and ramp-down periods will be for a given session-based workload.

The httperf output is a summary across all of the HTTP transactions it generates. If you want to examine only the 'run-time' activity, you will need to set up instrumentation to collect the information you want.