[httperf] RESPONSE adn TRANSFER parameters

Arlitt, Martin martin.arlitt at hp.com
Thu Oct 7 11:48:47 PDT 2010

Hi Paulo

A reply may require multiple packets to send from the server to the client. The reply time line in the output indicates:
1. how much time elapsed from when httperf sent the (first byte of the) request until the first packet of the reply was received (this is the "response time")
2. how much time elapsed from the arrival of the first packet in the reply until the arrival of the last packet in the reply (this is the "transfer time")

Please note that if the reply consists of a single packet, the transfer time will be 0.

In the example you gave, 500ms passed between httperf sending the request to the server and httperf receiving the first reply packet. Another 5,000ms passed between before the last reply packet was received by httperf.

This is all explained in the httperf man page under the Output section.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/httperf/docs.php

thanks
Martin