[httperf] think-timeout

Arlitt, Martin martin.arlitt at hp.com
Tue Dec 13 09:53:01 PST 2011

Hi Kurien

According to the man page, --think-timeout is used from the start of the response; if the entire response is not received within the specified number of seconds, then the timer will expire and the transfer will be abandoned. The --think-timeout value is added to the --timeout value, which is used multiple times during the lifetime of the connection.

I'm not sure why you would want a timeout after the end of the response. If you have already received the entire content, what purpose will starting a timer serve?

If what you want to do is ensure a large object is transferred within N seconds, then you should be able to achieve that using a combination of --think-timeout and --timeout. You can collect a packet trace to confirm that it works as expected.

Martin