[httperf] Problem in acieving required rate using POST request

Raoufehsadat Hashemian raoofeh.h at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 07:27:28 PDT 2012

Hi Pankaj,

Do you want to send the requests with the specified rate through the same
TCP connection? In general, is this an important factor for you?
if not, you need to add each request in a separate session (each empty line
shows a new session)  and use wsesslog.

for simplicity, i use the same GET requests you used. In the session file
you have:

/dfvkv-10-17/hostedzone/ method=GET

/dfvkv-10-17/hostedzone/ method=GET

/dfvkv-10-17/hostedzone/ method=GET

/dfvkv-10-17/hostedzone/ method=GET

/dfvkv-10-17/hostedzone/ method=GET

Assumming you have 5 similar sessions in you session file, your parameters
will be:

 httperf --server=192.168.0.100 --port=80 --wsesslog,300,0,sess.txt --rate=5

and the result will be:

Maximum connect burst length: 1

Total: connections 300 requests 300 replies 300 test-duration 59.801 s

Connection rate: 5.0 conn/s (199.3 ms/conn, <=1 concurrent connections)
Connection time [ms]: min 0.4 avg 0.6 max 2.7 median 0.5 stddev 0.1
Connection time [ms]: connect 0.2
Connection length [replies/conn]: 1.000

Request rate: 5.0 req/s (199.3 ms/req)
Request size [B]: 131.0

Reply rate [replies/s]: min 5.0 avg 5.0 max 5.0 stddev 0.0 (11 samples)
Reply time [ms]: response 0.389 transfer 0.000
Reply size [B]: header 163.0 content 50.0 footer 0.0 (total 213.0)
Reply status: 1xx=0 2xx=300 3xx=0 4xx=0 5xx=0

CPU time [s]: user 57.40 system 2.40 (user 96.0% system 4.0% total 100.0%)
Net I/O: 1.7 KB/s (0.0*10^6 bps)

Errors: total 0 client-timo 0 socket-timo 0 connrefused 0 connreset 0
Errors: fd-unavail 0 addrunavail 0 ftab-full 0 other 0

Session rate [sess/s]: min 5.00 avg 5.02 max 5.00 stddev 0.00 (300/300)
Session: avg 1.00 connections/session
Session lifetime [s]: 0.0
Session failtime [s]: 0.0
Session length histogram: 0 300